Monday, April 8, 2019

Review: Other Words for Home

Other Words for Home Other Words for Home by Jasmine Warga
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have read several wonderful books over the past two years featuring Syrian refugees: Refugee, Nowhere Boy, and Illegal come to mind, but all of those books have focused on Syrians who are immigrating to countries in Europe. Those books all made me question why I had not paid more attention to the Syrians' plight, but Other Words for Home is the first book that gave me a deeper look into what being an Arab immigrant in America is like.

Many of Jude's thoughts about Americans made me feel self-conscious like someone was looking deep into my soul. I felt extremely convicted when Jude says "Americans love labels, they help them know what to expect. Sometimes though, I think labels stop them from thinking." How many times have I caught myself labeling someone based on their appearance, education, or dress. I even label my children: the smart one, the athletic one; the easy one, the difficult one. What am I missing about people when all I see is the label I gave them? I recently purchased a shirt in honor of Autism Awareness month that says "See the Able, not the label." What a great thing for me to remember whenever I meet someone new. Thank you, Jasmine Warga, for this beautiful book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment