Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Review: Chirp

Chirp Chirp by Kate Messner
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Mia has just moved back to Vermont from Boston. She and her parents want to be closer to her grandmother who suffered a stroke a few months ago. Mia is really excited to be able to help her grandmother with her cricket farm. Unfortunately, things seem to be going mysteriously wrong left and right at the farm. Mia's grandmother suspects that someone is trying to sabotage the farm so she will be forced to sell it, but so far, there is no way to prove her theory.

Per her mother, Mia has to pick two summer activities: one for her body and one for her brain. She decides to participate in Launch camp (a maker space for kids) and Warrior camp so she can learn the tricks behind one of her favorite tv shows. Warrior camp happens to be right beside a gymnastics facility. We learn that Mia was a great gymnast in Boston, but after breaking her arm and undergoing surgery, she hasn't wanted to compete again. It's obvious that something bad happened to her at her old gym other than breaking her arm, but it takes a while to learn that her former coach was very inappropriate with her.

After forming new friendships with girls and women who have also been the victims of sexual harassment or inappropriate touch, Mia finds her voice and finally confides in her mother. At the same time, these friends help her figure out who is the mysterious mishaps at the cricket farm. These friendships allow Mia to rediscover the joy in her life and regain a part of her old self.

When I first heard that Kate Messner's upcoming novel was about a cricket farm, I thought that was really strange. I have loved every book of hers that I've read, but I couldn't see myself feeling super enthusiastic about this one. We all know the old adage "don't judge a book by its cover;" my new philosophy is going to be don't judge a book based on its setting or plot. Messner uses female crickets as a symbol for women who are scared to be vocal when men are misogynistic or inappropriate with them. She delicately unravels Mia's suffering for the reader without making it too graphic for her intended middle-grade audience. This book is so important for young girls to read. I imagine that every woman has been the victim of some type of sexual harassment during her life. We would love to think that it doesn't happen to girls in elementary school, but it does. I can say that confidently from my first-hand experience. It happened to me in first grade; a few boys touched my butt on the playground. In fourth grade, a male classmate asked me if I was a virgin. I, of course, had no idea what that meant, but I knew that it was a question he shouldn't be asking me. Now, I don't think those boys were being sexual predators; looking back on it now, I think they were probably doing things that they had seen or heard older boys or men doing, but it made me feel dirty, even though I had done nothing wrong. It's important for young girls to know that they are not in the wrong in these situations. This book is also important for young boys because they need to know that there are lines that should never be crossed. Messner does an excellent job of sensitively teaching both those lessons.

Chirp needs to be in every elementary and middle school library, and I'm not just talking to librarians who have a robust budget. Buy this with your own money if you must; it's that important for our children to read.

*Review based on an ARC given to #BookPosse.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment