Sunday, July 21, 2019

Review: The Map from Here to There

The Map from Here to There The Map from Here to There by Emery Lord
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I am a fan of Emery Lord's novels, so I was super excited to get an ARC of The Map from Here to There. I usually don't enjoy sequels more than the first book in a series, but I truly liked this one more. My favorite aspect of this book is that it wasn't full of profanity or sex. I feel like most YA novels are all about sex or the pursuit of sex; if not that, they are full of rough profanity. I get that teenagers swear and have sex. I remember what high school was like, and I taught it for eleven years, so I'm not naive about what happens outside of school. However, I always feel uncomfortable telling a teen how much I love a certain book when it contains tons of sex or profanity. Lord's newest novel is one that I would feel extremely comfortable recommending to students or parents. She tackles first love and heartache without making it too mature for younger teen readers. This novel (and the first in the series, The Start of Me and You) would make a great read for mature middle schoolers and more innocent or sheltered high schoolers.

Readers who have dealt with anxiety and/or loss will connect to Paige and her worrisome nature. Lord's writing took me back to my first serious relationship in high school when every kiss and touch felt like magic, but it also reminded me of gut-wrenching those first fights and misunderstandings could be. Every decision felt so monumental at that time in my life, and Paige definitely feels that way. She truly loves Max, but she's to0 worried about how much it will hurt to lose him that she forgets to enjoy what they have. Any reader who has ever questioned the seriousness of their relationship will understand Paige's internal conflict.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment