Friday, August 2, 2019

Review: A Monster Like Me

A Monster Like Me A Monster Like Me by Wendy S. Swore
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sophie was completely normal when she was born, but as a baby, she developed a large hemangioma on her face. Sophie knows that this mark doesn't just make her look like a monster; it's a sign that she really is a monster on the inside. She must have been cursed by a witch. She carries around her big book of monsters at all times so she will be able to pick out any other demons and monsters. Sophie is often bullied because of her birthmark so she tries to hide it as much as possible. She is deathly afraid that her mother will find out she isn't really human, and if she does, there's no way she will still want to have Sophie as her daughter. Sophie and her friend Autumn try desperately to find a cure for Sophie so she can turn back into a human, but things keep getting in the way of her cure.

I liked the concept of this book: someone feeling like a monster because of the way she looks and the way people treat her. However, I felt like Sophie's character went too far. I couldn't imagine how someone her age would truly believe she was a monster and that others were demons, fairies, etc. That was just completely unbelievable to me. I think that one aspect tainted my appreciation for this book. I just couldn't get over that one point. I also struggled with the names of the monsters. I have always disliked reading books where I can't figure out how to pronounce the names/words; when that happens, the book just loses me.

This book has gotten lots of buzz and is on many mock Newbery lists, but it just wasn't for me. That being said, I will still add it to my school library because I'm sure there are plenty of students who will love Sophie's story.







View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment