Monday, May 11, 2020

More Than Just a Pretty FaceMore Than Just a Pretty Face by Syed M. Masood
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'll be the first to admit that I shamelessly love YA romances. I love the drama, angst, and all the feels of first love. It throws me right back into high school when my life was full of those same emotions. Most of the YA romances I read are from a girl's point of view, and I expected this book to be same based on the title; obviously, I was wrong.

More Than Just a Pretty Face is about Danyal Jilani, a self-proclaimed handsome idiot who wants to be a chef. As a Muslim teen, Danyal isn't allowed to touch the girl of his dreams (Kaval), so he spends his time shamelessly flirting with her. She just happens to be his best friend's twin sister, which is another reason she is off limits. When Danyal's parents set up an arranged marriage meeting with Bisma Akram, Danyal is thrown for a loop. She isn't drop dead gorgeous like Kaval, but there is something about her that intrigues him. She is sad and lonely, and he just wants to make her smile. When Danyal is selected as a participant in his school's Renaissance Man competition, he is forced to choose between the girl he has always longed for and the girl who keeps haunting his thoughts.

One of the things that I loved most about this book was that it's about a culture different than my own. I know the bare minimum about Islam, and I enjoyed seeing what the Islamic religion expects of its believers. I cannot imagine being a Muslim teenager full of hormones and knowing that I'm not supposed to be alone with someone of the opposite sex. Danyal's character was very well-written; while he may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, he is passionate and kind. His desire to shed light on a seemingly heroic historical figure made me love him even more. He stood up for what he believed in, even though he knew it would be hard. I adored his playful banter with Bisma and how nervous he got around her. Syed M. Masood did an excellent job of showing readers that falling in love isn't always fireworks and wind blowing through a girl's hair. Sometimes falling in love is more like a ride on a lazy river: slow and comfortable.

Fans of David Yoon's Frankly in Love will swoon over More Than Just a Pretty Face.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment