Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Review: The Benefits of Being an Octopus

The Benefits of Being an Octopus The Benefits of Being an Octopus by Ann Braden
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ann Braden's writing is captivating. There were so many beautiful lines that had me grabbing my phone so I could snap a picture of them. While I never lived in a situation as dire as Zoey's, I felt a connection to her because I remember thinking that all the other kids at my school were better than me because their families had more money. This thought plagued me from elementary school all the way through college. It's hard to add to a conversation when you think your opinion is insignificant.

Zoey has way more responsibility than anyone her age should ever have, and reading about her made my heart ache for all the students I have known who live just like her. I was so invested in her character that I felt my blood pressure rising when her mom chooses her boyfriend over Zoey.

I think this book should be in the hands of any child that lives in poverty so they can see that their voice is important and their opinions matter. One of Zoey's friends is villainized because he is quiet, wears camo, and likes to hunt with guns; I think that many boys who live in rural areas might connect with his character. One chapter includes a shooting in the school parking lot; while no one is injured, I think in today's society that students younger than 5th grade might be frightened by that aspect. This book certainly needs to be in every middle school library.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment