Thursday, July 5, 2018

Review: From You to Me

From You to Me From You to Me by K.A. Holt
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

On the first day of eighth grade, Amelia's teacher mistakenly gives her a list of goals written by her deceased sister, Clara, in sixth grade. Since Clara didn't live long enough to complete the goals on her list, Amelia decides to achieve them for her. In her mind, checking off these boxes for Clara will help her not feel as lonely or sad. In her efforts to complete her sister's goals, she ends up pushing away her two closest friends, leaving her feeling even more alone. Ameila's journey is angst-ridden, but there are also moments of pure joy along the way.

I know K. A. Holt as an author of novels-in-verse, so I was surprised to see that this quick read is written in prose. Her writing feels very much like the language an eighth-grade girl might use; there are lots of OMGs and references to Beyonce and her lyrics. Middle school girls should feel right at home in this book.

I was fully expecting this book to be a tearjerker; it's hard for me to read about the loss of a loved one without bawling. Oddly enough, I didn't cry at all during this book. Perhaps it's because we never have a full on description of Clara's death. Her death is revealed in bits and pieces. We know she drowned at the lake; we know her death has scarred her family and closest friends, but that's about it. We never see Amelia and Clara's relationship because she is deceased when the book begins. I didn't feel as emotionally invested in Amelia because I never saw what she was like with her sister, so for me, this book was not draining like I expected it to be.

It's likely that many MG students haven't yet closely experienced the loss of a loved one.From You to Me will be a good introduction to this topic. It accurately depicts the suffering family members experience when they are left behind, but it does so without sending the reader into a terribly depressive state. I certainly think it is worth recommending to any student who has experienced the loss of a sibling or close family member. This book may prove to be very cathartic for someone who connects to Amelia's loss and loneliness.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment